Or have you thought of becoming a professional organiser and working with hoarders, but want some reassurance before giving it a go?
Then please join Cherry Rudge of Rainbow Red and Heather Matuozzo of Clouds End CIC on Friday 28th November 2014 for a special training day aimed at helping professional organisers understand and cope with some of the challenges we face when working with people affected by extreme clutter.
Cherry and Heather represent The Association of Professional Declutterers & Organisers UK (apdo-uk) on the Chief Fire Officers Association’s (CFOA) Hoarding Working Group, which organised the first ever UK Hoarding Awareness Week in 2013.
CFOA's Hoarding Working Group is working to create integrated best practices amongst the UK Fire and Rescue Service, professional organisers and other agencies working with hoarders.
Surrey Fire & Rescue Service (who are also Members of CFOA’s Hoarding Working Group) have kindly agreed to host the day at their Reigate HQ, and are keen to raise awareness of the safety issues relating to hoarding; they will give an overview of how professional organisers, hoarders, the emergency services and other key stakeholders can work together to reduce the risk of fire or accident in a hoarder’s home.
The day will cover a wide range of topics including:
- Identifying the traits of hoarders
- Hoarding disorder - mental illness & other health challenges
- Conducting interviews and assessments & report writing
- Using the Clutter Image Rating Scale
- A talk by representatives from Surrey Fire & Rescue Service’s Fire Investigation & Community Safety Management teams about:
- home fire safety visits, and follow-up actions taken if there is extreme clutter
- hoarding protocols
- A hoarder’s experience of working with professional organisers, support services (eg. social services), therapists, etc
- Social housing & Hoarding Taskforces
- Social Services, direct payments, etc
- Eviction and re-housing
- Practical challenges – getting rid of stuff, short-term storage, etc
- Hoarder support and self-help groups
- Safeguarding ourselves as professional organisers
There will be plenty of opportunities to ask questions and share knowledge and experiences – please help us make the day as interactive as possible; our aim is to end up with a network of professional friends and colleagues who follow common best practices when working with hoarders, and support each other through what can be challenging and draining experiences.
Date: Friday 28th November 2014
Time: Registration from 9.30am for a 10am start
Estimated finish time: 4pm
Venue: Surrey Fire & Rescue Service HQ, REIGATE, Surrey
(A map will be sent to you once your booking is confirmed)
Costs: apdo-uk Members: £70
Non-apdo-uk Members: £100
Refreshments: Tea, coffee & biscuits will be provided.
Feel free to bring your own herbal/decaffeinated, drinks.
Please bring your own lunch as there is no canteen on site.
Spaces are limited to about 20, so book early to avoid disappointment.
If you miss out this time, don't worry - we're going on tour with this training around the UK, so we'll hopefully be coming to a town near you soon - certainly before UK Hoarding Awareness Week 2015.
To reserve your place or for more information, please contact Heather Matuozzo (Clouds End CIC) or Cherry Rudge (Rainbow Red).
We look forward to seeing you on November 28th for what promises to be an exciting, honest and revealing warts-and-all day of camaraderie