The article tied in with Hoarding Awareness Week, and suggests approaches landlords should take if they discover tenants who exhibit hoarding behaviours that affect:
- the safety of people living in the property (or that of neighbours and others in the community)
- the functionality of the home
- the tenant's ability to abide by their tenancy agreements
The article recommends landlords consider the S.M.I.L.E. acronym, as an empathetic person-centred approach is proven to be far more effective than putting a vulnerable person (who may be self-neglecting) through the trauma of a forced clear-out or eviction proceedings.
- Safety first
- Mental health and well-being
- Imagine how you’d want to be treated if the tables were turned
- Levels on the Clutter Image Rating Scale (CIR)
- Emotions, empathy and empowerment
Cherry - who is the daughter of a hoarder - was invited to contribute to the magazine, after attending two days of NLA training - a Foundation course and a Safer Homes.
To read the article, click here.
Click here to return to Rainbow Red's website